Frequently asked questions
About Wartner Cryotherapy
What components make up the Wartner Cryotherapy treatment?
Wartner Cryotherapy Wart Remover contains an aerosol can with a mixture of dimethyl ether and propane, an applicator holder and foam applicators; it contains a file to remove calloused skin on top of the verruca prior to the treatment.
How does Wartner Cryotherapy work?
Will using Wartner Cryotherapy hurt?
Is Wartner Cryotherapy safe to use?
When should Wartner Cryotherapy not be used?
- removing warts on the face or the genitals;
- skin conditions with signs of inflammation;
- dark moles, dark-colored, hairy or otherwise unusual looking skin conditions which resemble warts;
- warts on children under the age of four.
What are the most important parameters for an effective treatment based on Cryotherapy?
- Temperature of the application
- Contact time on skin
Is the gas mixture (DMEP) used as effective as liquid nitrogen used by the doctor?
Wartner Cryotherapy is based on the liquid nitrogen method of cryotherapy, which is used by doctors. Clinical studies have proved that Wartner Cryotherapy is as effective as liquid nitrogen.
A clinical study to compare efficacy, tolerance and safety of 2 types of cryotherapy (liquid nitrogen (LN) and dimethylether/propane (DMEP) was performed by family physicians for warts on 124 patients (174 warts). Design of the study: randomized, multi-centered, controlled clinical trial with single blind assessment. Conclusions: The results show that both cryogenic agents were >90% effective. Liquid Nitrogen has a temperature of -196ºC, whilst DMEP is -57ºC and therefore much less likely to cause deep tissue damage.
Dermatologists confirm Wartner Cryotherapy’s effectiveness: “the efficacy of Wartner Cryotherapy freezing fluid is as effective as commonly used liquid nitrogen (= doctor’s method). In case of thick callosity we remove the callosity by scraping in a gentle way and apply Wartner Cryotherapy freezing liquid effectively” Dr I H Boersma – Dermatologist – Albert Schweizer Hospital – Zwijndrecht, The Netherlands.
“The effectiveness of Wartner Cryotherapy is comparable to that of the classic technique (Liquid Nitrogen = doctor’s method) in every respect, and the freezing effect it has is similar to that obtained by Liquid Nitrogen, perhaps a little slower (20″ application instead of 3″ application), which I think is safer and less painful” Dr J M Gray – Dermatologist – Paris, France
What temperature reaches Wartner Cryotherapy?
Wartner 2nd Generation reaches a temperature on skin of -50° which is the coldest therapeutic temperature reached on the market as a cryotherapy.
How does it compare to other cryo products in the market?
Will I get a scar from using Wartner Cryotherapy?
If you follow all the directions in the instruction leaflet correctly, using Wartner Cryotherapy will not result in scarring. Skin discoloration may occasionally occur, but will disappear over time.
If I have more than one common wart or verruca, can I treat them all at once?
No, if you have several common warts or verrucas in the same area, treat only one at a time. Treat each remaining wart or verruca separately with a 2-week interval between treatments.
Is Wartner Cryotherapy difficult to apply?
No. Wartner Cryotherapy should be applied with precision, but it’s not difficult. The information leaflet explains exactly how you should apply Wartner Cryotherapy.
How long should I press on the valve?
You press the valve down firmly for three seconds.
Should I press the cold foam applicator onto the wart or verruca immediately?
No. After pressing the foam applicator into the valve for 3 seconds, 20 seconds need to be waited before application on skin. This waiting period allows the gas on the foam applicator to reduce even further in temperature, resulting in the most effective therapeutic temperature for a fast and convenient removal of the wart/verruca.
How long can I apply the cold foam applicator to a wart or verruca for?
Warts: (max.) 20 sec.
Verrucas: (max.) 40 sec.
How often may I use the foam applicator?
Each foam applicator may be used once only and should then be discarded to avoid spreading the virus.
How many warts or verrucas may I treat per hand or foot simultaneously?
Only one per hand or foot may be treated by Wartner Cryotherapy at a time.
How often may I use Wartner Cryotherapy?
Wartner Cryotherapy may be used up to 3 times per wart or verruca. You should leave a 2-week interval between treatments.
I’ve tried Wartner Cryotherapy once, but nothing happened, what do I do next?
For old or persistent warts or verrucas, two or three applications maybe required. To help with treatment, remove the top layer of skin with a pumice stone or emery board; this will expose the core. Treat each wart or verruca with a 2-week interval between treatments. Consult your doctor if there is no improvement after three treatments.
Will successfully treated common warts or verrucas return?
A successfully treated wart or verruca usually means that it has been removed permanently. The body’s immune system will normally purge any remaining traces.
When should I not use Wartner Cryotherapy?
- If you are diabetic.
- If you are pregnant.
- If the common wart or verruca is located in a sensitive area with thin skin (e.g. the face, neck, armpits, chin, breast) or on genital warts.
- If the nearby or affected skin is inflamed.
- If you are not certain that the skin condition you are treating is a common wart or verruca.
- Wartner Cryotherapy should not be used on children under the age of four.
Are there any side-effects from using Wartner Cryotherapy?
There are a number of possible side-effects:
- As with all freezing methods, the skin may turn white temporarily.
- A blister develops under the wart, but this is part of the treatment and is harmless.
- Using Wartner Cryotherapy may cause some discomfort.
- Applying the foam applicator to the wart or verruca for too long may lead to local tissue death. You should therefore follow the instructions carefully and apply the treatment for the time specified based on the size of the wart or verruca.
- Always use Wartner Cryotherapy very carefully and accurately. If you’re not careful, scars and nerve damage may occur.
How serious are the various side-effects?
- White coloration of the skin: as soon as you press the foam applicator onto the problem area, the skin turns white. This discoloration quickly decreases as soon as the foam applicator is removed.
- The appearance of a blister: this blister will disappear as soon as the wart or verruca falls off the skin. New skin will already have formed under the blister.
- Discomfort during use: a stinging sensation may occur when the foam applicator is pressed onto the skin. This stinging sensation quickly fades once the foam applicator is removed.
- Local tissue death: this will only occur during deep freezing of the skin. Therefore, never hold the foam applicator on a wart for more than 20 seconds (40 seconds for verrucas)
- Scars and nerve damage: this will only occur from careless use caused by not following the instructions on the information leaflet. Never hold the foam applicator on the wart for more than 20 seconds (40 seconds for verrucas) to ensure that there is no deep freezing and therefore no damage.
What should I do if the side-effects do not disappear?
Always consult a doctor if the stinging sensation does not disappear or if other complications occur through using Wartner Cryotherapy.
Who can use Wartner Cryotherapy?
Wartner Cryotherapy may be used by most adults. You can also use Wartner Cryotherapy to remove warts and verrucas on children over the age of four, but the treatment must be carried out by an adult.
Can Wartner Cryotherapy be used to treat children?
Yes, Wartner Cryotherapy is suitable for children over the age of four.
Is it dangerous to use Wartner Cryotherapy to treat children under four?
We do not recommend the use of Wartner Cryotherapy to treat children under the age of four.
Can Wartner Cryotherapy be used by pregnant women?
No. Do not use Wartner Cryotherapy if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How quickly will the wart or verruca disappear?
It takes approximately 10-14 days for the wart or verruca to disappear.
What should I do if the wart doesn’t disappear after 14 days?
If the wart or verruca doesn’t disappear after 14 days, you can treat it again. You can treat each wart or verruca with Wartner Cryotherapy a maximum of three times, with a 2-week interval between each treatment.
What should I do if it doesn’t disappear after three treatments with Wartner Cryotherapy?
If the wart or verruca doesn’t disappear after three treatments, you should go to your doctor.
Why should I use Wartner Cryotherapy if I can also go to the doctor for the same wart treatment?
Wartner Cryotherapy has a number of important advantages. It saves time and is easy to use. You no longer have to wait at the doctor’s surgery. The liquid nitrogen that your doctor uses has a much lower temperature than Wartner Cryotherapy. Because of this Wartner Cryotherapy is less painful but just as effective.
What is the difference between the liquid nitrogen method at the doctor’s surgery and a treatment with Wartner Cryotherapy?
The liquid nitrogen that your doctor uses has a much lower temperature than Wartner Cryotherapy. Because of this Wartner Cryotherapy is less painful but just as effective.
What is the best way to take care of the area I’ve treated?
Make sure that the area stays clean. Do not pick at or scratch it. Protect blisters with an adhesive plaster and do not puncture them.
Can I let the area I’ve treated get wet?
Yes. You can shower and swim after treatment with Wartner Cryotherapy.
Is Wartner Cryotherapy harmful to the environment?
No. Wartner Cryotherapy doesn’t harm the environment.
Who makes Wartner Cryotherapy?
Wartner Cryotherapy is manufactured by Omega Teknika – Farnham Drive, Finglas, Dublin 11, Ireland, and is distributed by Omega Pharma by its local affiliates.
Where can I buy Wartner Cryotherapy?
You can buy Wartner Cryotherapy at your local pharmacy or supermarket.
How to apply Wartner Cryotherapy?
|Hold the blue end of the foam applicator between the thumb and index finger and squeeze until a small opening appears. Slide the opening of the foam applicator onto the stick of the applicator holder until the stick is no longer visible.|
|After saturation of the foam applicator, wait for 20 sec before topical application in order to further reduce application temperature and thus ensuring a better efficacy of Wartner.|
|After the 20 seconds waiting time, push the applicator holder with the foam applicator lightly on the wart.
2 ADDITIONAL STEPS FOR VERRUCAS for optimal preparation and after treatmentPRIOR TO THE TREATMENT First, soak the foot in warm water for 5 minutes and afterwards rub the callous with the file to expose the verruca. STEP 1-4
|See above. Same as for the removal of warts|